Saturday, February 28, 2009

Parenting

I know that every person/couple has their own parenting style, but sometimes don't you just feel like you are right?

Tonight at dinner, I found out some very disturbing news about my childhood. It really is no secret that Middle School was pretty much hell for me. Having my dad's eyebrows was one of areas that all loved to tease me about. The lowest point was in 8th Grade when we had to write one nice thing about the person next to you, and the boy next to me (that I had a crush on naturally) wrote he wished he had my eyebrows. So, when he got up in front of the class and proclaimed this everybody started laughing. I was so embarrassed that I just wanted to die. I begged and pleaded for my parents to let me get my eyebrows waxed. They always said no. It wasn't until we moved to Texas, and things got even worse for me in High School. They finally gave in when I was 15.

So, tonight at dinner my dad was talking about how he needed to trim his eyebrows because they are bushy people. They are about to get their own zip code! I told him I would do it tomorrow even though they never let me do anything about my eyebrows for forever! He then told me that he thought it was his decision not to let me get my eyebrows fixed. He thought not only was I too young, but it cost money, and it was good that I was teased because it made me stronger in the end. This hurt so bad because I had such low self esteem for years because of all the teasing I went through, sometimes I still have doubts.

I guess I just don't understand that thinking. If Grey was being teased for something that could be easily fixed I would have no problem getting it fixed. I never want him to be in pain, and wouldn't be able to stand it if he came home crying everyday. It hurts me to think that all the suffering I went through for something so easily fixed had no effect on my father.

No comments:

Post a Comment